Free Certification Practice Tests and Study Guides
Join Us! | Login | Help

Computertraining.com

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> General Certification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonmlee07

Post subject: Computertraining.com
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:11 am

Help others: Review your books and training products here

Hi all,

I am recently separated from the military and back home in Columbus Ohio. I've heard a lot of advertisement for Computertraining.com and it's something I've been considering. I've been trying to research this school for positive or negative experiences. BBB doesnt have much on them either. I'm a little hesitant about comitting that much money to getting MCSE certified but if I knew it was worth the time and money I'd probably enroll. Anyway's looking for anyone's ideas about this or experiences good or bad with their company. I tried searching this site and others to find information so sorry if this already in an older thread elsewhere.

Thanks!
Offline View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
jsprague
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:10 am

Other than coming out of the military, what is your story? College degree? Computer experience in the military? Any other computer experience?

The reason I ask is that some of these schools charge ridiculous amounts of money (sometimes as much as a degree). If you have the experience, then you might want to consider self-studying. If you don't have the experience, then you shouldn't be shooting for advanced level certifications like MCSE anyway.

Here is what I found about that school.
http://www.certfaq.com/bb/ftopic8375.html

http://penncotechscam.tripod.com/id7.html
CTRL-F and search for computer training. Sounds like all they do is feed people braindumps and rape them out of their money. Quite frankly, this is what many IT training schools do.

If you still feel like you need to attend classes, please read our articles first:
http://www.mcmcse.com/articles/training_schools.shtml
http://www.mcmcse.com/articles/classes.shtml

Cool
Offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
jasonmlee07

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:23 am

Thanks for the reply. My background consists of about 6 years in IT hopping from one thing to the next. The bulk of my experience was from the military. Ada programmer, Lotus Notes Developer, Wep Developer, PC Tech. After leaving the military the first time I worked as a software consultant which traveled 75% of the time which left little time for school. That and I was working on proprietary software. So after some company downsizing a few months after 9/11 I was left with experience and no credentials. Competing for jobs against others with certs/degrees wasnt working.

Well to cut my life story short I've been away from it for the past 3.5 years working as a Naval firefighter but realized its what I want to do. Studying for the A+ right which I find is about 60% review 40% new. Then plan to go for Network+ both self study. I guess the idea of self study for MCSA or further the MCSE is a bit intimidating. Thought the idea of a formal school with structure and all would help achieve that goal. I just hope the negative post I read about the computertraining.com wasn't just someone's lack of effort. I definitely don't like the lack of hands on experience she mentioned. Oh well I will probably take a trip to the school, get a tour, and maybe try to talk to a few students.

Lastly, I wanted to say I'm really glad I found this site. It's going to be a great asset/tool to use on my way to my goals

Thanks!

Jason Lee
jsprague
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:28 pm

The A+ and Network+ are a good place to start. Good luck on those!

As for computertraining.com... From what I read, they load you up with braindumps to memorize. If you are not familiar with braindumps, they are a form of cheating. A school that engages in this type of activity is clearly only interested in having you pass the exams, not learn the material. If you really feel that you need or want classes, make sure that you ask them about these things.

Personally, I still think that you should try self-study. Try it for the first exam (70-270) and see how it goes. There are several good CBT products available that are like attending a class, but much less expensive than paying for training. Another option to look into is your local community colleges. Many of them have certification training classes.

Best of luck!
jasonmlee07

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:07 pm

Thanks JS. Hard to tell who all these reviews are coming from but the more and more I try and dig up about some schools that I was interested in merely for the structured environment the more skeptical I've become. Self study here I come. Thanks again for the advice and links.

Jason
the future certified
ombtech77
Becoming a Regular
Becoming a Regular

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:34 pm

jasonmlee07 wrote:
Thanks JS. Hard to tell who all these reviews are coming from but the more and more I try and dig up about some schools that I was interested in merely for the structured environment the more skeptical I've become. Self study here I come. Thanks again for the advice and links.

Jason
the future certified

Hey I know what you are going through. I just finished self-study on A+ and Network+. You just need to develop your own formula. Mine is this:

1) Take a Transcender exam (it feels just like taking the real exam). Also take some practice exams here.

2) Get the score report and read up on what you weak on. Then take the test again and make sure it's randomized (not the same test you took before). You can either view a CBT Nugget video on the part you're weak on (For example Motherboards for A+), or you read Mike Meyers All-In-One Study Guide 5th edition (I can't stop plugging this book....it really is that good).

3) When you consistently score 85% or higher on your exam, you are ready. Get a good night's sleep prior....eat a big breakfast, relax...and just take the exams. I know of people that took both A+ exams on the same day and passed...I don't recommend that route. I've been dealing with PCs for years and didn't feel the need to take unnecessary risks. Too many questions and you're just inviting unneccesary potential failure.
Good luck with what you wanna do.
Marathonman
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Post subject:
Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:17 pm

jasonmlee07 just a question? Do you want to develop software, PC tech, or sys admin? Also if you still have your clearance there are some jobs that require it. And that would give you a nice step up.

----------------
A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA, CNA,
jasonmlee07

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 7:33 am

I wish I did still have my clearance but has since expired. I don't know if having a previous clearance makes it any easier to re-apply. As far as my direction I was initially hoping to go the networking side. With my break in experience I almost feel as though I'm starting over again but not really. If that makes sense. Immediate goals are to knock out A+ and Network+. I've been told before A+ doesnt carry much weight and a waste of time and money but I see it as a good base. That and I want to make it through my first exam. I appreciate all the responses. I'm a quick learner and a good test taker so we'll see where that gets me. Hopefully posting my test results soon. I still have access to netg courses through the military which is good. Free courses and tests to go along with them. I really like the Mike Meyers books. Thanks again all. Will post hopefully soon in the A+ section.

Jason Lee
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> General Certification All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: