Free Certification Practice Tests and Study Guides
Join Us! | Login | Help

sick and tired of searching.. what am I doing wrong?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> Career
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Event Horizon

Post subject: sick and tired of searching.. what am I doing wrong?
Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:28 pm

Help others: Review your books and training products here

Bang head on wall

I feel like I've hit a concrete wall and pretty much stuck there.

A few months ago (5 months) I got canned from an otherwise pretty good assistant help desk job at a law firm paying about 15 bucks an hour. I was there for a year and half. Why did I get canned? They're excuse was I lacked initiative or some bullshit just to get me out.

Ever since, i've been collecting unemployment checks, and furiously looking for another position here (Southwest Florida) and there doesn't seem to be a shortage of listings but there seems to be a shortage of interviews.

Out of 60-80 resume/cover letters sent, I only got ONE interview and this was a nice job for an insurance company paying over 20/hr and I was excited. It was a long, grueling, 2 hour interview and 5 people interviewed me (I thought it was ridiculous) Nonetheless I thought I did good.

Three weeks later, obviously, the HR women (how useless), told me "position has been filled."

Ok. I think to my self, WHAT THE HELL did I do wrong.

So here I am, venting my anger, and hoping if someone can give me advice on what works. I've basically just been sitting on the computer looking for openings on sites like craigslist, monster, indeed, etc.

I kind of suck at networking. I don't really know anyone here that even is remotely related to IT.

I am taking my NET+ exam this Monday. Say I pass, will that be a good addition to my resume? I already have an A+ and almost 3 years of paid experience in help desk/tech support.

In fact, I'll attach my resume/cover letter and if there's a good soul out there that can see some obvious things that need to be changed, please let me know. Thank you. I've edited out some personal info like name, number, employer names,etc.

resume: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/24/1538667//me_resume_it.doc

cover letter: http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/10/24/1538667//cover_letter.docx
Offline View user's profile Send private message
Event Horizon

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:01 pm

Passed the NET + exam with an 835 yes!!! It was just as I expected, not too easy and too hard. There was some subnetting questions involving chopping up subnets, I hate that. Still don't understand it. And there were also too many cable termination and crimping questions like which tool does what and 110 , 66 block junk. I thank mike myers Net + book for excellent coverage .. I owe him one.

now if I ONLY CAN FIND A JOB
listen2me

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:05 am

Congrats
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> Career All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: