Free Certification Practice Tests and Study Guides
Join Us! | Login | Help

CCENT Lab

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> CCENT/CCNA
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helios

Post subject: CCENT Lab
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:09 pm

Help others: Review your books and training products here

Hi everyone,

I'm preparing to study for the CCENT and I'm not sure what equipment I should have to study with. Some have suggested a single 851w, others have suggested more elaborate labs.

Can anyone who's done the exam give me their experiences?

Thanks!
Offline View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
ciscodaze
Becoming a Regular
Becoming a Regular

Post subject:
Posted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Help others: Review your books and training products here

Probably not the best way to go...the main point of any real labs or sims is connecting routers and switches, making vlans, practicing implementing different protocols, etc., and just making everthing talk...having just one router defeats that purpose. Get a good sim program, like routersim (or if you have a city college nearby that has a networking program, and uses the Cisco Academy curriculum, you can take a class and use Packet Tracer which is a very capable network sim program that Cisco uses in their program - and best of all play with the real cisco hardware).

The only reason to get just one router, that I can see, would be to have the full IOS to practice on. The sims dont have all of the IOS commands but otherwise they look and act just the the real thing - certainly every command you need to study for the CCENT.

I looked at that router at Ciscos site, and it *looks* to me like it doesnt come with the full ios installed, but instead focuses on the
SDM, since their target buyers are small business owners who probably just want to get up and running. There was a download software link and I saw the 12.4 IOS, so maybe you have to set it up if you really want it...not sure. Anyway, I would recommend a sim - I use routersim (ccent version for 100.00) and I practice with it every day...its great.

After you do your ccent, and you can afford it, you might want to invest in a real lab, with a router (or two) and a switch (or two).
Others here can advise you better on that.

me, im a broke and penniless bloke, and got obamatized right out of the workforce, so I make do. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Luckily, my local city college has a networking program here in Santa Barbara, and they are a cisco academy program, so that helps a lot...cant beat it.
Offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> CCENT/CCNA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: