Free Certification Practice Tests and Study Guides
Join Us! | Login | Help

Dell Optiplex Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> Computer Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemesis
Becoming a Regular
Becoming a Regular

Post subject: Dell Optiplex Issues
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:50 am

Help others: Review your books and training products here

I'm currently working on a Dell Optiplex GX 280 and for whatever reason it wont start. All i get is a flashing power button. I have called dell on it and had them send out a new power supply but nothing actually happend. I got the same flashing power light and no power.

Ive since again called dell and had them send out a new motherboard which i installed and still nothing. Can any of u guys help me out there. In trouble shooting I went through the routine of pulling pci cards and other components but nothing.
MCTS
BSc. Mngt. Info. Sys.
Offline View user's profile Send private message
JavonR
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:23 pm

Its probably your cpu, heres a few things you can try.

- Memory usually just gives a memory error at post but just incase only use 1 stick and try it in different slots.

-Remount your heatsink with fresh thermal paste, make sure its not on backwards.

-Try a different wall outlet.

Just some basic stuff, I saw that you already did routine things but just making sure. IMO, the cpu is probably toast. Do you have another system you can test it on, or better yet another processor with the same socket as your motherboard?
nemesis
Becoming a Regular
Becoming a Regular

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:25 pm

Thing is, the machine wont even budge. The fan dont start or nothing, if it even got as far the POST then i would feel alot better. Oh and i've tried switching outlets so I know thats not a problem.

Maybe it is the cpu itself, im sure that I installed the heat sink and there is thermal paste there.
MCTS
BSc. Mngt. Info. Sys.
JavonR
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:35 pm

your processor requires a fresh set of thermal paste, which means you need to go buy some more get rid of the old stuff using nail polish remover+rubbing alcohol to clean it off. If there is a gap between the processor and heatsink that is substantial your cpu will fry in 10seconds, which is why on some motherboards nothing will even start if its not attached properly.
JavonR
Permanent Fixture
Permanent Fixture

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:38 pm

if you dont have some already, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007

is great and it will probably drop your core temp by a few degrees compared to the stock stuff the cpu comes with. If this doesn't work your cpu is done Sad thats my best guess anyway, I cant think of any other reason with the current situation that would prevent you from starting.

EDIT: im not sure if you have ever used it or not so here is a guide on how to properly apply AS5 www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

generally just a small dot in the centre then install the heatsink overtop, the pressure will spread it out and fill the ridges of your heatsink & create a seal. Assuming you've never done it.
Marathonman
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:53 pm

Light flashes and you can hear something going click click click.

Check the capacitor on the motherboard. They may be leaking. I know the GX270 had ~90% caps leaking.

link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_Plague

----------------
A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA, CNA,
Offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Cormac Doyle

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:12 pm

On Dell machines, if you pull the CPU, the power button does NADA ... you're not gonna get any post errors at all - no cpu ... no power up.

I've (accidentilly) tested this by improperly seating a CPU ... NOTHING.

forgot the system was still plugged in and *switched on*, and seated the CPU more firmly on the MOBO ... suddenll the entire system lept into life.

If you'e replaced the mobo and PSU, I'd suggest that the next step is to drop in a different cpu.

(PS - no Graphics card ... you'll get a bunch of BEEPS and no post ... no RAM and you'll get a partial post and then either beep-codes or error lights at the back of the system).
drewm320

Post subject: Re: Dell Optiplex Issues
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:54 pm

nemesis wrote:
I'm currently working on a Dell Optiplex GX 280 and for whatever reason it wont start. All i get is a flashing power button. I have called dell on it and had them send out a new power supply but nothing actually happend. I got the same flashing power light and no power.

Ive since again called dell and had them send out a new motherboard which i installed and still nothing. Can any of u guys help me out there. In trouble shooting I went through the routine of pulling pci cards and other components but nothing.

I've seen the same problem on the same model before and it did turn out to be the power supply. You may want to check the lights on the back of the case by the USB ports. On a working system, they'll light up in order like a mini self-test. On a bad power supply system you'll get nothing, even if the front light blinks and the motherboard light comes on.
Offline View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Post new topic   Reply to topic     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> Computer Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: