Free Certification Practice Tests and Study Guides
Join Us! | Login | Help

Finally passed 70-291 on my third try! Here's my studysheet

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> Network Infrastructure Exams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techsupporter

Post subject: Finally passed 70-291 on my third try! Here's my studysheet
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:42 pm

Help others: Review your books and training products here

Hey Everybody, I finally passed on my third try with a score of 899! It's been a gruelling few months (with a few breaks) and I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off of my shoulders! I ended up using the MSPress book, the Syngress book, and the Sybex book and took a few practice exams available on their CDs and on line, along with reviewing the CBT Nuggets.
Another thing that people might want to consider doing is doing searches for either MCSE or 70-291 or even Windows 2003 on any of the file sharing services out there like Kazaa or Morpheus. You should find some good study guides or book reviews on there.
One word of advice for everybody is that the questions are worded very poorly, and us, being the experienced techs that we are, might try to read too much into the wording to figure out the subtleties that might be embedded within the question. Don't do that. If the question makes you think of a specific rule right away, such as a 1000 port limit in RRAS or NT4 limitations within DHCP, go with that rule. Don't try to read too much into the question because they really are trying to trick you with their wording. Thanks to everybody for their words of encouragement, now it's time to unwind for the rest of the week and weekend and then I start to study for 70-293.
70-293
Future Cert Goals:
MCSE+S, Security+, MCSE+M & then either Citrix, Cisco or maybe Linux.
Offline View user's profile Send private message
techsupporter

Post subject: Here's the final study guide I came up with
Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:49 pm

As I was finishing up my studying for this test, I skimmed through all the books I had and looked at the practice questions that I had, and I wrote them all into a list that listed some key points that I hadn't totally committed to memory, or some issues that I didn't fully grasp. I'm cutting and pasting the topics below, this barely makes any sense to me so don't worry if some sections make no sense whatsoever to you. A final note, I wrote this fully myself with no plagarism or copying from any of the books or questions, it's pretty much all listed in a format that allows me to comprehend. Enjoy!:
IP (Subnetting, TCP/IP, DHCP• Netcap – captures network traffic in Network Monitor – used to get MAC addresses
• Net start dhcpserver
• DHCP Relay Agent – part of RRAS
• DHCP Backup & Transfer – Move backed up file to prevent address conflicts
• DHCP Superscope - Creating a superscope with multiple subnets will cause clients to retain current scope addresses
• DHCP know difference of Reservation & Exclusion
• Reservation – Range is reserved for client with set MAC Addresses
• Exclusion – Range is excluded from DHCP Scope
• 169.254.X.X = APIPA Address
• DHCP Server States:
• White X in Red Circle – Service not started
• Green Up Arrow in White Circle – Server active and connected
• White Exclamation Mark in Blue Circle – Out of Addresses (Error 14)
• Red Down Arrow in White Circle – DHCP not authorized
• Connectivity issues between 2 router separated networks are probably gateway related, then subnet
• ICS has IP addressing built in & can’t coexist easily with a DHCP configured network
• For network router setting, ALWAYS use IP address of network router/connector, not company’s NAT/RRAS or ISP
• Subnet mask determines whether packet destination is internal or remote bound via gateway
• DHCP Servers must have an IP address on the subnet of each scope, including superscopes

DNS
• Use WINS forward lookup to connect to a NT4 network without a DNS server unless DHCP dynamically allocated
• Understand Root Hints
• Understand Application Directory Partitions
• Active Directory Integrated DNS Servers should also be Domain Controllers
• Stub zones and Delegations are used to make child domains of ALREADY CREATED Primary/Secondary/ADI Zones
• Zone Options Tabs: General, SOZ, NS, WINS, Zone Transfers. Security
• SOA Tab: Refresh: 15 Min, Retry (Should be less than refresh): 10 Min, Expire: 1 Day, Min TTL: 1 Hour, TTL for Zone: 1 Day
• Increment S/N of zone by clicking increment button
• Transfer Zone – force zone transfer from Primary. Option available on Secondary. Occurs automatically at Refresh Interval.
• Reload Zone- reinitialize zone from local DNS file
• DNS Suffix Search List setting in the GPO allows multiple suffixes to be queried
• Dynamically Hosted NS Records without hosting zone => Stub Zone
• Use WINS Forward Lookup that is close to the requesting DNS server.
• Stub Zone & Delegation queries forward child zone DNS info to client, which might be blocked by firewall.
• Ports: 25-SMTP; 53-DNS; 80-HTTP; 110-POP3; 483-HTTPS
• Conditional Forwarding routes certain domain requests
• Simple Forwarding routes all names external to server
• Shorten expiration times for branch offices with unreliable connections to reduce incorrect query responses.
• Create a unique host name (A) and, if needed, CNAME records for multiple servers pointing to one address.
• Nslookup – lists all/specific records in a zone; netdiag; dnscmd
• Host/Server Options Tabe: Debug Logging, Event Logging, Monitoring, Security, Interfaces, Forwarders, Advanced, Root Hints

Network Infrastructure (Network Monitor, System Monitor, Service Dependency, Connectivity)• c:\windows\system32\parser.ini & parsers folder for netmon protocol parshing
• DHCP process DORA/DORN
• Task Manager>Networking Tab
• Performance Console>System Monitor View (Other Views: Counter Logs, Trace Logs, Alerts)
• Netstat – DOS based network usage/settings displayer (i.e. ports in use)
• Nslookup – check ns records being returned by DNS
• Net Logon service registers SRV records in DNS – allows domain logon authentication
• shutdown /i allows remote shutdown

Security• Security Configuration and Analysis MMC Snap-in
• secedit – Security Configuration and Analysis in command line –either can be used to modify templates
• IP Security Monitor MMC Snap – in
• netsh ipsec – IP Security Monitor in command line
• netdiag – command line tool to display IPSec Info & test/view network configuration
• IP Security Monitor 0 monitor & troubleshoot ACTIVE IPSec policy
• netcap.exe – capture network data from command line to view later
o Network Monitor does not have to be installed and it works on Windows XP
• mbsaclie.exe – MS Baseline Security Analyzer in command line
• SUS clients must have client installer installed, or 2000 SP2, XP SP1, or 2003
• SUS Client Installer – WUAU22.msi
• Only 2000, XP & 2003 can be SUS clients
• Performance log user have more rights than power users, less than administrators
• Domain Controllers do not have a power users group

Miscellaneous
• Audit Logon Events in GPO is using local user accounts
• Audit Account Logon Events in GPO is using domain user accounts
• Newly created user accounts must be able to contact a Global Catalog Server

Routing and Remote Access Server (VPN, Router, DHCP Relay, NAT, Firewall, Demand Dial, etc.)• RRAS member servers of a domain must be added to RAS and IAS Servers domain local security group
• DCs are automatically added to RAS and IAS Servers group
• Route print – view routing table
• Remote access routers calling in must have exact credentials to answering router’s demand dial interface configuration, or be considered a remote access user
• ICS automatically assigns addresses from beginning of 192.168.0.0/24 range and can’t access other ranges
• RIP is for smaller networks, less configuration.
• OSPF is complicated to set up and install, but more versatile and less bandwidth for larger networks
• RIP has a 15 hop limit
• RIP can use password only authentication, but it is sent in clear text
• RIP can use a list of authorized routers
• RI can filter routes that it receives from other routers by IP range (i.e. accept only 10.X.X.X ranges)
• RIP can advertise with broadcasts (v1, v2) or multicast (v2) or listed neighbors
• OSPF uses a map of the internetwork called a Link State Database
• DHCP Relay Agents and RFC1542 compliant routers can pass DHCP Broadcasts
• DHCP Relay Agent can’t be run on a server with DHCP, ICS or NAT with auto addressing enabled since they all assign IP addresses already
• RRAS reserves DHCP addresses in blocks of 10
• EAP-TLS is not supported on standalone servers - used for smartcards
• Windows 95 does not support MS-CHAP v2, only 2000/2003/XP support EAP
• Remote Access Policies – understand them
• Control access through Remote Access Policies is disabled in a Windows 2000 mixed domain functional level
• If using EAP-TLS for VPN authentication, all VPN clients require a user certificate
• IAS servers can use RADIUS to authenticate multiple RRAS servers.
70-293
Future Cert Goals:
MCSE+S, Security+, MCSE+M & then either Citrix, Cisco or maybe Linux.
antonio banderas
Becoming a Regular
Becoming a Regular

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:10 am

Congrads on the pass. I will definitely pass this test the next time I take it.

----Current Position----
Server Engineer
Offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
bebezinho
Friend of MC MCSE
Friend of MC MCSE

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:24 am

Thanks for the information. Printed and is on my notebook! Very Happy
Offline View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
okie527
Becoming a Regular
Becoming a Regular

Post subject:
Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:49 pm

That is great. I also have made a copy for my viewing pleasure.
Kudos to you!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     |##| -> |=|     MC MCSE Certification Forums -> Network Infrastructure Exams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: